Object Personal Pronouns
Understand the Uses of Object Personal Pronouns
The object personal pronouns (sometimes called objective personal pronouns) is a term used to refer to pronouns used in the objective caseOpens in new window.
This means that the pronoun is acting as an object of a verb, compound verb, preposition, or infinitive phrase.
- Singular personal pronouns in the objective case are me, him, her, you (2nd person singular), it and whom.
- Those in plural include us, you (2nd person plural), and them.
Examples of personal pronouns in the objective case
In the sentences below, the words in bold serve as objective case personal pronouns:Example 1:
- Margaret stole Kyle’s heart, so she felt joyfully compelled to marry him. (the objective personal pronoun him is the object of the preposition to.)
- After skimming the flyer, Sasha tossed it into the trash can. (the pronoun it is the direct object of the verb tossed.)
- The eager apprentice walked up to the master silversmith, stared him in the eye, and confidently replied, “I will consider your offer and contact you by the end of the month.” (the pronoun you is the direct object of the action verb contact.)
- Emer and Lola will join us at the café in Lakeshire that just opened. (the objective personal pronoun us is the direct object of the compound verb will join.)
- Refer your client’s friend to them. (the objective personal pronoun them is the object of the preposition to.)
- I don’t know if my colleague has the time to work with you at this juncture. (the objective personal pronoun you is the object of the preposition with.)
- Linda was happy to see her at the bus stop.
In Example 7, the personal pronoun her is “not” functioning as a subject, so it must be in the objective form. And lastly?Example 8:
- This chrysanthemum is for whom?
|Person||Subjective CaseOpens in new window||Objective CaseOpens in new window|
|1st person singular||I||me|
|2nd person singular||you||you|
|3rd person singular, male||he||him|
|3rd person singular, female||she||her|
|3rd person singular, neuter||it||it|
|1st person plural||we||us|
|2nd person plural||you||you|
|3rd person plural||they||them|